Monday, September 19, 2011

Overnight Motorcycle Ride

I am putting together a motorcycle ride through southern Minnesota and Wisconsin.  My biggest hurdle is to not plan every detail and allow for the more unplanned, interesting parts of the trip to happen. I'm bringing my small tent, sleeping bag and minimal camping gear.  


The Plan
Below you should see the proposed Google map route.

View Moto Ride, 2011 in a larger map
I'm leaving Sunday to drive south along non-highway routes to Lanesboro, MN.  Perhaps grab something to eat at Das Wurst Haus, then continue on to the Great River Road and head south.  Once at Prairie Du Chien, I'll head east to Spring Green, WI.


Outside of Spring Green is Wisconsin Riverside Resort.  I can stay the night for $24.  I thought about staying at Tower Hill State Park.  However out of state fees and DNR license puts the cost for one night to $27.  The resort has standard toilets and showers.  Though I don't think I'll actually need a shower overnight, its a nice option for $3 cheaper.


Also close to Spring Green is Frank Lloyd Wright's home, Taliesin.  Normally I'd plan on spending the day there, but Cathy and I were there a few years back.  It's worth it if you have an interest in FLW and his history.


Now the ride from Spring Green is a little more undefined.  I'd like to stay off of highways, but also not take 12 hours to get back home.  I've plotted a route through some valleys and hills that looks interesting, but only on Google Maps with terrain overlay.  We'll see how it goes.


I like the phone toys that are out there.  I have a Google Latitude account, and one at Spotwalla.  Spotwalla is fed by my Latitude feed.  You can follow my current location live on Latitude, or my trip on the days I travel on Spotwalla.


Google Latitude
Spotwalla

During my trip, I'll be working to share my progress and a few notes during my stops.

Wish me luck!
Dan

1 comment:

  1. If you want another "reason to ride", check out the Wisconsin Rustic Roads program. A little google search should reveal the info about the locations of Rustic Roads. Many riders try to see how many they can collect in a season or over a couple years. I think the state has a patch or passport book of some kind for it, but the idea is to get a photo of you bike by a RR sign and see if you can collect all 100+ roads.

    ReplyDelete