Friday, September 23, 2011

Planning is Half The Fun!

I think I'm ready.

I have my gear laid out at home in the living room.  The important items in my stash are my small tent, sleeping bag, GPS and Leatherman.  My riding gear goes without mention: Tourmaster jacket, helmet and riding boots.
Tourmaster Textile Overpant

I've been holding off on this, but Thursday I bought motorcycle riding pants.  They are vent-able, water proof and slip over my pants, which is nice.  Jeans work great, but not for weather.  I'd have to carry something to help with the water proofing, but why not just have some over-pants that do what I need.  The pants also zip to my jacket which helps with ride up of my jacket, or down for my pants :(.

One of my personal challenges on this trip is to figure out a way to make morning coffee while on the road.  I enjoy making this harder than it needs to be.  Breakfast can be a left-over Subway sandwich, so I don't worry about that.

I believe I have a solution.  I already own a small camping burner that screws on to the top of a small gas cartridge.  I have a small aluminum pan, deep enough to hold my water.  However, I didn't have a decent way to filter ground coffee.  Yes, instant would work, but that isn't the point.

Behold the Snap Mesh Tea Infuser.  I don't know if it can hold enough grounds to make my coffee worthwhile, but it's worth a shot.  Maybe I do it more than once.


So, I think I'm ready to go.  On Sunday AM, I'll check my tire pressure, fill up with premium gas and head south.

Follow me on one of these links if you are so inclined.
Google Latitude
Spotwalla (On Sunday and Monday)

Dan

1 comment:

  1. Look at Aerostich.com or REI for a mini coffee press. I think there is even one made of titanium, with a sealed lid so you don't have to clean everything right away, and you can drink right out of the press.

    ReplyDelete